Sunday, June 22, 2008

A new insight into a familiar verse

Today my Sabbatical Pastor's on Point plan led me to reflect on EPH 2.10. It is a very familiar passage to me because it is the theme of the SHAPE Seminar. But I love the freshness of the Amplified Bible which I haven’t looked at before. Here it is:

For we are God's [own]handiwork (his workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus[born anew] that we may do those good works that God predestined (planned beforehand) for us [taking paths which he prepared ahead of time]that we should walk in them [living the good life that he prearranged and made ready for us to live]. AMPLIFIED BIBLE -- EPH 2.10


· First, I like the emphasis on recreated (and born anew) as opposed to simply created. Both I’m sure are true but this connects me to the new work God is doing by his Spirit in me that wasn’t there before I became a Christian.

· Also, I really like the emphasis on predestined paths. I checked it out in the original Greek. Turns out, the last word in the Greek and also the NIV is “do.” In Greek it is pripateo which means to do, or to walk, or to live. So this is how the Amplified gets paths (from walk) and also good life (from live). I love the emphasis on the good life walking in His paths blazed ahead of time for me!

No comments: