Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Staycation

One of the latest buzz words coming into American lingo is "staycation" -- a vacation spent close to home. With the ridiculous price of gas, many people are staying home. Of the eight weeks I'll be away from professional ministry (six sabbatical weeks and two vacation weeks), five of them will be spent at home.

So new strategies need to be in place to still get the rest benefit. Here's a few I hope to employ:

  • Surround myself with competent people. Anyone who has met our ministry staff knows what I'm talking about. They will do a stellar job while I'm gone.
  • I'm going to try not to answer work-related email (I have a plan to forward them to people that can help). In fact, most of time my computer is on, I will have my email program closed.
  • Take in the sights of San Diego. Do a few things the tourists do.
  • Break habits. I'll try to change habits of routes I drive, places I eat, etc. I'll try to do new things, as if this is a new town to me. (One habit I won't break is Peet's Tea - so if you want to bump into me, good chance it will be there).
  • Focus on relationships over tasks when I'm with church friends (yes, I want to hang out with church friends since almost all my friends ARE from church). I'll just do my best to avoid shop talk.
  • Appreciate and notice nature even in the suburb
  • Goof off without guilt.

What ideas do you have for making the most of a staycation?

No comments: