Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Kicking off a Sabbatical

I’m sort of feeling ready for this – sort of not. Here goes.

Scripture:

PS 90:1 Lord, you have been our dwelling place
throughout all generations.
PS 90:12 Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom
PS 90:17 May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us;
establish the work of our hands for us--
yes, establish the work of our hands.



Observations:

Psalm 90.1 - God has always been a place of rest for his people – every generation – but also every season of my life. Thank you for this new season.

Psalm 90.12 Teach me – that’s my prayer.

Psalm 90.17 I’m hoping that by the end of this process I will be engaged in work that is effective, lasting, established. My sweet spot. The slogan of Pastors on Point is, “Taking Pastors Out of Their Element … and Into Their Essence.” That sounds awesome.

My focus here at the beginning is decompressing and I’m not sure I’m there yet (with a couple more things to do). Actually, the only requirement to be ready for decompression is to be compressed. Which I am. So I guess I am ready. Ready for YOU, God, to decompress me.

Reflection on Jeremiah 33.3 `Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'

What an awesome invitation, here at the beginning! That is exactly how I feel today – calling upon the Lord a lot and not knowing what I’m suppose to get! Awesome.

Reflection on Psalm 138.8 The LORD will fulfill his purpose for me;
your love, O LORD, endures forever--
do not abandon the works of your hands.

This too is an awesome promise. My prayer earlier was that God would establish the work of my hands (Psalm 90.17), but here the focus is on the work of God’s hands for me. What a great reminder that this is a time for God to do a work in me, before He does one through me. And, also, I notice between the purpose of God for me and the work of God in me is the Forever Love of God.

.

No comments: