Tuesday, January 8, 2008

A prayer you will need in 2008

I can hardly think of a better prayer than the one found in 2 Chronicles 20:12.

“We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon You.”


There will be many times in 2008 that you will need these words.

There are, of course, times when God gives us great clarity about the future. At such times we can pray, “Lord, I know what you want me to do; still my eyes are on You.” But most of the time a more realistic prayer is, “Lord, I don’t know what to do, but my eyes are on You.”

Many people, if they are honest, don’t really like this prayer. They don’t like the insecurity it represents. They don’t like how dependent it makes them feel. Many people prefer to operate by this motto: “Lord, I know exactly what to I plan to do, so my eyes are not on you.” Others live by this creed, “I don’t know what to do, but my eyes are on myself.”

How much better to admit our weakness when it comes to predicting the future, and put our confidence in the One who has already been there?

No comments: