Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Growing pains

Most of us don’t like discipline.

And we certainly hope we never have to experience God’s discipline. But then we read something in the Hebrews that is so instructive. It says, Endure hardship as discipline; God is treating you as his children. Heb 12:7

Suddenly I realized that I had a very limited understanding of God’s discipline. Often when we speak of discipline we mean punishment. But biblically, discipline is much more than that. It certainly can also be used of God’s chastisement. But it is more commonly used for His teaching, training, and guidance. In other words, it encompasses all that God does to develop us as godly people.

And notice it says, God is treating you as his children.

Every hardship you might face is always metered through our Father’s loving hand. Always it something through which He wants us to grow. No matter what.

Ultimately the best question we ask is this: “Lord, how does God want me to respond?”

Today, why not ask God to give you the faith to trust his Father love as He develops you into the person you were meant to be?

1 comment:

Josh Stichter said...

Thanks for sharing this scripture. I have in more recent years felt as though I'm being disciplined; at least at certain moments. I often struggle to clarify the wash of feelings I experience and battle with the theology behind God's work through discipline. I can validate the emotions that result from God's discipline with this scripture :)