Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Later You Will Understand

Peter didn’t get it. Why Jesus would stoop to wash Peter’s feet. Why the Messiah would mimic a slave. Peter didn’t get it.

It strikes me that we often don’t recognize what Jesus is up to in our lives. That’s why what Jesus told Peter is so applicable to me.


Jesus replied, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand." John 13:7


This is the real-life truth for those who choose to follow Jesus, captured in this passage: Later you will understand.

For whatever reason, God chooses to reveal his purposes to us on a need-to-know-basis. And often it is after the fact. In fact, some things we will only appreciate from Heaven’s balcony. Some events in our lives will only make sense in the rear view mirror. Faith means trust.

I suppose this makes you uncomfortable. It creates all kinds of Peter-like reactions. Like Peter we say to God, “You're going to do what?!? I need a little more information!”

And once again Jesus says, "You do not realize now what I am doing, but later you will understand. Trust Me."

.

No comments: