Tonight I watched my 200th sunset of 2008. Each one was different. Here's some samples of the photos I took. Below the photos I'll tell you why I did it and what I discovered.
December 30, 2008
At the beginning of 2008 I made several commitments. One was to watch 200 sunsets. My criteria for it to count was I had to be outside around dusk, either during, right before, or right after the sun went down. I also had to pause, take it in, and pray. I wrote down the date of each one in my PDA and tonight (a day early), grateful to God, I met my goal. Here's what I discovered.
- No two sunsets are the same. I'm blown away by God's variety.
- The colors are richer AFTER the sun goes down.
- It is so easy to miss the change from day to night. You get busy and all of a sudden it is dark outside.
- We tend to start our days when we wake up. But God set it up so the new day begins at sunset. It is AWESOME to end your day at sunset, and begin a new one with dinner, family, sleep and THEN work.
- The colors in the sky change dramatically at dusk. It is a good reminder for God to do his transformation in me.
- A few minutes to pause and reflect make a huge difference in my day.
- Getting off the freeway to watch a sunset is a great idea.
- The green flash is real.
- My longest sunset was on a plane flying west from Europe. Although it didn't count because I wasn't outside (fortunately) it was awesome.
- God seems bigger when I watch a sunset.
What about you? Have any sunset stories?