Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Ordinary People

Somewhere in the “be-all-that-you-can-be” culture I’ve grown up in I’ve embraced the notion that God only uses super-saints. Somewhere along the way, I bought into the idea that God ordinarily uses extraordinary people.

The truth is just the opposite. Consider Acts 4:13.

When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.


We forget that those superstars of Sunday School – the Apostles - were once ordinary, unlikely, people. But God used them in amazing ways because they spent time with Jesus.

The only credential that matters, the only diploma that counts, the defining bullet point on your resume, is time spent with Jesus.

God extraordinarily uses ordinary people.
That's the truth.

2 comments:

Karen Dunham said...

Too true! We have been studying Peter at home lately and he has been an encouragement to both me and the kids. He was such a bonehead sometimes and yet he was the guy on which Jesus established His church - amazing. I love that - he gives me hope! :)

Karen Dunham said...

Too true! We have been studying Peter at home lately and he has been an encouragement to both me and the kids. He was such a bonehead sometimes and yet he was the guy on which Jesus established His church - amazing. I love that - he gives me hope! :)