Thursday, August 16, 2007

Easily Distracted

I am so easily distracted. Like Martha in the Bible. Luke 10:40 says, But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made.

Jesus had just dropped by her home and Martha was the hostess. Martha was responsible.

Can’t you just see her? Frantically running around the kitchen kneading the dough, making the soup, and sweeping the floor? All for Jesus. She had such good intentions.

And all the while her sister, Mary, sat at Jesus’ feet oblivious to her sister’s frantic display.


This passage above gets sort of personal, for me, because the word translated preparations could actually be translated ministry. Which means that it is quite possible for good things, even godly things, like the ministry things I stress over, to take our focus away from the one thing Jesus wants us to focus on.


The story continues … Martha came to Jesus and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!"

We’ve all been there. Frustrated when others don’t share our sense of urgency and responsibility. And Martha’s boiling point is found in the phrase, Lord, don't you care? “Don’t you get it? Don’t you even notice?”

I love Jesus’ response: "Martha, Martha," the Lord answered, "you are worried and upset about many things, but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her." LK 10:41-42

That’s what I long for: the peace that only comes to a soul that is postured at the feet of Jesus.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This hits home for me as well. It always comes back to Jesus. I often make things more difficult than is necessary and whenever I get to the point of feeling overwhelmed I am reminded that it is Jesus who makes my life whole. Hopefully, I can remember that first when things start to get hectic and slow it down by focusing on Jesus. That method never fails.