Tuesday, August 21, 2007

6 ways to simplify your witness

Mainly because of fear, many people never share their faith with others. I think we’ve made it too complicated. It doesn’t have to be that way. In John 9, Jesus healed a blind guy. Within minutes this guy was sharing his faith. He exemplifies how to share our faith simply.

(This will make more sense if you read all of John 9).

  • Be yourself

But he himself insisted, "I am the man." John 9:9


Don’t put on your evangelist mask. Just be yourself.

  • Tell your story
"How then were your eyes opened?" they demanded. He replied, "The man they call Jesus made some mud and put it on my eyes. He told me to go to Siloam and wash. So I went and washed, and then I could see." John 9:10-11

The story doesn’t have to be spectacular or dramatic. It just has to be yours.

  • Remember it’s OK to say "I Don’t Know"
"Where is this man?" they asked him. "I don't know," he said. John 9:12


In fact it is good to say, “I don’t know.” Everyone else knows you don’t know everything. Don’t let the fear of being stumped keep you from sharing what you do know.

  • Focus on what Jesus has done for you

One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" John 9:25

I have been amazed how receptive people are when I simple describe the difference God has made in your life (see I just did it).

  • Don’t worry about the results

Then they hurled insults at him and said, "You are this fellow's disciple! We are disciples of Moses! John 9:28


Lot of times we don’t see the results. So stop worrying about them.

  • Expect your own faith to grow
Jesus said, "You have now seen him; in fact, he is the one speaking with you." Then the man said, "Lord, I believe," and he worshiped him. John 9:37-38


Not only will others be impacted, Jesus will also reveal Himself to you in new and cool ways.



No comments: