Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Jesus is willing

I love this simple request of Jesus:

A man with leprosy came and knelt before Jesus and said, "Lord, if you are willing, you can make me clean." Matt 8:2

Having heard of Jesus’ wonder working power, the man basically said, “Jesus, I know you can heal me, but will you?”

Now, in some ways, this is the most honest prayer we will ever pray. Isn't that all we can ever say in our suffering? When we come to Jesus with our problems, our illnesses, our concerns, “Lord, I know you can, I just don’t know if it is your will.”

But at a deeper level this request was tainted with the man’s own experience and cultural baggage. It grew out of a world that forced him to feel estranged from God and isolated from community. He must have worried that Jesus wouldn't have the time, or interest, to enter his world. In other words, he didn’t question Jesus’ ability, but his willingness. He knew Jesus was able, he just didn’t know if he was available.

Sometimes it is easier to believe in God's power than in his mercy.

It was then that Jesus did something absolutely startling. Those who were close enough to see would have been horrified. He touched the man. He probably hadn’t been touched in years. And Jesus said, “I am willing.”


Never doubt that Jesus is willing. Jesus is ready to touch your life today.

1 comment:

The Morales Family said...

I feel the beauty of this is that it's not just for the person who thinks Jesus isn't available, but also for the person who feels that their request is just yet another on top of the long list of requests, where the individual may also feel like they're undeserving of his attention. I like how the Message puts it, when Jesus replied to the man with leprosy, He said, "I want to." Yeah...I think that's pretty awesome!