Tuesday, June 16, 2009

If you don’t listen to your wife, God won’t listen to you.

At least that’s what Peter says: Husbands, in the same way be considerate as you live with your wives, and treat them with respect… so that nothing will hinder your prayers. 1 Peter 3:7

Many husbands have dreams and plans, yet wonder why achieving them is so frustrating. One of the reasons may be that they have neglected the most important relationship in their lives. God says that only as a husband considers his wife will He consider him. A husband’s ear with God is at risk if he doesn’t take his marriage seriously.

Why would God be so harsh about this?

Because God says that marriage and family are meant to be reflections of God’s relationship with us. Somehow the way a husband relates to his wife is supposed to mirror Jesus’ love for His bride, the church. More than that, what kids experience with their dads at home is supposed to be a helpful analogy of how God the Father wants to relate to them. That is, if a child grows up with an aggressive father they are often falsely inclined to think of God as a cop in sky. Or if a child grows up with an absent father often they are inclined to think of God as indifferent to their lives.

We will never reflect God perfectly, nevertheless a husband and dad can either make this heavenly transfer natural or difficult. No wonder God makes it such a high priority. Why would God honor a man’s other ambitions while the most important relationships remain neglected?

1 comment:

Ben said...

Howdy! I'm really glad I came to your blog because I had forgotten to tell you before that I really liked this particular insight you gave. I first thought about the notion of God not hearing our prayers when I read the verse in Proverbs 21 that says "If a man shuts his ears to the cry of the poor, he too will cry out and not be answered." When I read that verse not too long ago and it struck me pretty powerfully. I had always thought beforehand that God was always eager to hear our prayers. I really liked your insights about the same subject because I had never thought about it in regards to romantic relationships. You rock!