Tuesday, September 23, 2008

One day Jesus had a conversation with a woman. And the conversation got pretty personal. Especially as Jesus dealt with some of the poor moral choices that she has made in her life (in this case, her failure in six different relationships). Jesus looked deep into her heart and revealed her pain and emptiness.

That’s why I’m so surprised by her response: "Sir," the woman said, "I can see that you are a prophet. Our fathers worshiped on this mountain, but you Jews claim that the place where we must worship is in Jerusalem." John 4:19-20

Did you notice what happened? Jesus addresses an extremely deep heart issue. But instead of facing the internal issues of her soul, this woman opts for a surface fix. It’s as if she says, “It doesn’t matter about my past moral failures, or my empty life … as long as I figure out the right mountain to worship on, I’m good to go.” It would be comical if it wasn’t so typical.

How easy it is for us, to try that to fix deep issues with quick external changes. But we will never be healed by surface makeovers. Instead, as Jesus counseled the woman, we must allow His Spirit to change us from the inside out (See John 4:21-24).

A great prayer is found in Psalm 139:23-24:

Search me, O God, and know my heart;

test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in
me,
and lead me in the way everlasting.

As Jesus looks within your heart, invite Him by His Spirit to uncover any anxious thoughts or offensive ways, and let Him begin a spiritual transformation from within.


.

No comments: