Thursday, August 21, 2008

Sabbatical in Review

Also see Some random things I did over Sabbatical.

This summer has been a great break from day-to-day ministry. Although it was busy, I was truly able to disengage from the daily load of ministry and think big thoughts about God, His church, our church, and my calling.

As I reflect on my summer experience, I relate to the words of John Steinbeck. As Steinbeck prepared to journey across the United States he said, "We find after years of struggle that we do not take a trip; the trip takes us." In the same way, as I consider all the ways God worked in my life during this time, I feel as though I didn't take a sabbatical; the sabbatical took me.




What has the Lord done with me over this sabbatical?



  • Gave me great times in His Word

  • Took me through the death of my father.


  • Gave me a lifetime experience with my family in Europe.

  • Gave me fresh perspective on my strengths and areas of greatest effectiveness through the Pastors on Point Process.

  • Allowed me to read several great books and visit several churches.



How would I define my "point" in ministry?





  • God has made me a unique pastor. The themes of my life show that He put me together so that I was made to LEARN, DREAM, INVESTIGATE, EVALUATE, CREATE, ORGANIZE, PLAN, DEVELOP, OVERSEE, INFLUENCE, and COMMUNICATE.





  • I like to minister with and through GOD'S WORD, VALUES; RELATIONAL TEAMS, KNOWLEDGE, EXPERIENCE, NEW GROWTH, SHAPE, PEOPLE ON THE FRINGE OF FAITH.




  • I work best in ministry environments that are NEW OPPORTUNITIES, UNIQUE, CHALLENGING, CONTAINED, WITH TEAMS, AFFIRMING, WITH MEASURABLE IMPACT, and WITH KEY RESPONSIBILITY FOR RESULTS.




  • I am at my best when I play a role of a CATALIZING PRIME MOVER, INFLUENCER, at the FRONT END OF A NEW MOVEMENT.




  • So that I can TOGETHER WITH OTHERS, PLAY AN IMPORTANT ROLE IN DOING SOMETHING NEW, UNIQUE, AND CREATIVE, WHICH WILL HAVE AN ETERNAL IMPACT.





What do I most look forward to in the days ahead with our church?





  • Reinforcing our missional mandate (grounded in Scripture).

  • Solidifying our values (which never change)

  • Refining our strategy (the map we will follow to fulfill our mission).

  • Developing our measurements (the way we know we are doing what we planned to do)

  • And seeing God show up in amazing ways as His compelling cause for us uniquely as a church is unleashed.






No comments: