Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Curse of Comparison

“Why do I have to go through this and they don’t?”
“Why are they immune; while I am not?”
“Why do they get all the breaks?
“What did I do so wrong … or they do so right?”


It is the curse of comparison. Has anyone ever been there? Peter was. In the Bible, Jesus predicted that there would be some difficult days ahead for Peter. And Peter’s response is so relatable. He motioned to John, who seemed to always coast through life, and asked, "Lord, what about him?" (John 21:21).

Have you been there? Maybe you're there now? A little ticked at God? As if He plays favorites? Especially when we face difficult things, it is easy to compare ourselves with those with whom life has blazed an easier path. It’s the curse of comparison.

Jesus’ answer to Peter is amazing. He offers Peter the only way to break the curse.

Jesus answered, "If I want him to remain alive until I return, what is that to you? You must follow me." (John 21:22) Basically Jesus says, “Peter, what I do with John is My business. My plan. But you, Peter, you, follow me.”

God has a unique plan for you that has been choreographed to the script of your life, and it is different from all others. And the liberating truth is that you don’t need to compare yourself with anyone else. You have a God given assignment and it has very little, if anything, to do with the assignments He gives other people. Therefore, it is a waste of time comparing ourselves to others, or wondering why we didn't get their part in the play. All we have to worry about is following Jesus call for us.

3 comments:

Andy said...

I always wonder why my left hook shot isnt as good as yours? God blesses each of us differently.

Josh Stichter said...

A friend of mine always says, 'Comparison is the killer of fun.' And it's true! Is there ever a time or a way to compare yourself to others as a form of accountability, without feeling prideful immediately after? It's a struggle to not conform to this world, which is where I see the problem lies. I often compare myself to others to further define my 'place.' If I would learn to compare myself to Jesus, I'd probably see that we [man] are all pretty much in the same spot: needy.

Doug Kyle said...

Awesome comment, Josh.